Friday, April 20, 2007

"I die like Jesus Christ"?

This week Cho Seung-Hui committed the second worse school mass murder (HT: Barlowfarms) in U.S. history. After the first shooting inthe dorm room and before he went to the classroom building he mailed a video manifesto to NBC news. In that video manifesto he ranted against what he considered were rich, spoiled kids:

“You have vandalized my heart, raped my soul and torched my conscience. You thought it was one pathetic boy’s life you were extinguishing. Thanks to you, I die like Jesus Christ, to inspire generations of the weak and the defenseless people.

Do you know what it feels like to be humiliated and be impaled upon on a cross? And left to bleed to death for your amusement? You have never felt a single ounce of pain your whole life.”

What I find interesting is his claim that he died “like Jesus Christ, to inspire generations of the weak and defenseless people.” What do you think of his claim? Are there any similarities between Cho’s life and death and Jesus Christ’s life and death?

While some will probably imitate Cho’s actions and find him as role-model, the difference between Cho’s actions and Jesus Christ’s actions are as far removed as heaven is from hell. When we look at the differences between Cho’s life and death and Jesus’ life and death, we see why Christianity makes so much sense; why Jesus Christ is the most written about figure in world history; why more people have made Jesus Christ a model to imitate, a person to believe, than any other human being ever. Here are some reasons why their lives and deaths are different:

1. The means of their deaths is different. Jesus Christ was ruthlessly killed by others’ hands but Cho took his own life. Even though Jesus Christ was God and had the authority to keep his life (John 10:14), he freely gave himself over to the Jews and Roman soldiers. He did not kill himself; they crucified him. Peter says, “Men of Israel, hear these words: Jesus of Nazereth…[was] delivered up according to the definite plan and foreknowledge of God, you crucified and killed by the hands of lawless men” (Acts 2:22-24) (emphasis added). Christ submitted himself into the hands of others while Cho decided to end his own life by his own hand.

2. The manner of their deaths is different. Jesus Christ died praying “Father forgive them for they know not what they do” but Cho died with unforgiveness in his heart (Luke 23:28). Though Jesus’ death was painful, he died in peace, giving his life over to God at the moment he perished: “Father, into your hands I commit my spirit!” (Luke 23:46).

3. The motive of their lives and deaths is different. Jesus Christ died because he loved sinners like you and I. Cho died because he was filled with hate. John 3:16 says that God so loved the world that he sent his only begotten Son. Since we know that the Father and the Son are one in motive (John 10:30), we know that the Father sent the Son in love and the Son went, of his own volition, because of love.

We must not distance ourselves so readily from Cho, thinking we are vastly different. We may not do what Cho did but when we harbor bitterness, anger, and resentment, clinging to those things in sinful delight, then we become Cho-like. If we relish hatred and envy then we begin to walk the path of Cho. We may never come to the point of mass murder but to be on the path of sin should be warning enough that its destination is fraught with danger—to ourselves and others.

4. The goal of their lives and deaths is different. Jesus Christ died so that others might live but Cho lived so that others might die. In John 10:14 Jesus says, “I am the good shepherd….I lay down my life for the sheep.” Jesus said that “whoever believes in [me will] have eternal life” (John 3:15). The goal of Jesus was to grant people life, which is fellowship with the Triune God. True life is found in walking with God, knowing God, and praising God. But because of the wolves of sin, death, and the devil, humans are beset like helpless sheep. We are defenseless against our enemies. Jesus, the good shepherd, makes it his goal to deliver us from the wolves of sin, death, and the devil.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I, too, was saddened by Cho's complete misrepresentation of Jesus' death in his rantings. Thanks for writing this post.

Your challenge to examine our own hearts reminds of Jesus' statement that hating someone in your heart is equal to murder. I'd say that Cho illustrated this truth so thoroughly and vividly that it should give all of us pause. Every action begins with a thought and our own evil thoughts are far from innocent or insignificant as we often rationalize them to be.

4:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

HI,
This is Mandy Keogh. I am not sure if you remember me, I took an intro philosophy class that your taught at Missouri Baptist a couple of years ago. I was one that had a lot to say...which is typical for me I guess. I peak in at a blog or two of yours occasionally and really enjoy them. They really make me think...a little deeper I guess than everyday life does. I am not one to spend a ton of time online but when I get a moment or two I like to peak in on you page. Send me an email if you happen to remember me. I am totally unfamiliar with this "blogging" format. Typically, I am two steps behind with everything technology oriented.

Mandy Keogh
mlkmlk9@fidmail.com

7:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home